Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Life Before Me

I have been reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan for the second time and both times I have read there is one story he shares that always just grabs my attention. That is what I would like to share with you now.


"Brooke Bronkowski was a beautiful fourteen year old girl who was in love with Jesus. When she was in junior high, she started a Bible study on her campus. She spent her babysitting money on Bibles so she could give them out to her unsaved friends. Youth pastors who heard about this brought her boxes of Bible's to give away.
    Brooke wrote the following essay when she was about twelve; it will give you an idea of the kind of girl she was.


"Since I Have My Life Before Me"
By Brooke Bronkowski

I'll live my life to the fullest. I'll be happy. I'll brighten up. I will be more joyful than i have ever been. I will be kind to others. I will loosen up. I will tell others about Christ. I will go on adventures and change the world. I will be bold and not change who i really am. I will have no troubles, but instead help others with their troubles.

You see, I'll be one of those people who live to be history makers at a young age. Oh, I'll have moments, good and bad, but i will wipe away the bad and only remember the good. In fact that's all i remember, just good moments, nothing in between, just living life to the fullest. I'll be one of those people who go somewhere with a mission, an awesome plan, a world-changing plan, and nothing will hold me back. I'll set an example for others, I will pray for direction.

I have my life before me. I will give others the joy i have and God will give me more joy. I will do everything God tells me to do. I will follow the footsteps of God. I will do my best!!

During her freshman year in high school, Brooke was in a car accident while driving to the movies. Her life on earth ended when she was just fourteen, but her impact didn't. Nearly fifteen hundred people attended Brook's memorial service. People from her public high school read poems she had written about her love for God. Everyone spoke of her example and her joy. 

I shared the gospel and invited those who wanted to know Jesus to come up and give their lives to Him. There must have been at least two hundred students on their knees at the front of the church praying for salvation. Ushers gave Bible's to each of them. They were Bibles that Brooke had kept in her garage, hoping to give out to all her unsaved friends. In one day, Brooke led more people to the Lord than most ever will.

In her brief fourteen years on earth, Brooke was faithful to Christ. Her short life was not wasted. The words from her essay seem prophetic: 'You see, I'll be one of those people who live to be history makers at a young age.' "

Every time I read this, I am amazed. To see the impact that one fourteen year old girl made in such a short amount of time makes me feel like I have been so selfish and have wasted so much time. At 12 years old she wrote those words, not knowing that she didn't have much longer to accomplish all that she wished. This young girl was nothing short of faithful to her service to Christ.

This story is such a lesson to me in my walk with the Lord. This should be how we all desire to live. To serve God and do whatever He calls us to do, knowing that He will be faithful! I want to live my life unashamed of the amazing God who has saved me, I want to live so I can't help but show and share the love that Christ has demonstrated towards me. Yes, I do have my life before me. But just like Brooke didn't know that the life before her was only two years, I don't know what "life" here on earth I have before me. However, I do know that in this life ahead of me, however long or short that may be, I want to live faithful to my Jesus. I want to serve Him. 

                I will do everything God tells me to do. I will follow the footsteps of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment